Monday, July 20, 2015

Learning Bel Canto in Individual Sessions

One of the greatest joys that I have as a teacher is the time that I spend with my students in their individual singing classes. After over thirty-five years I have never grown weary of working with one person after another, because each person has a wonderful gift inside of himself or herself which will come out in singing.

All kinds of people ring the school for lessons, all ages from 12 to 90. Some of the people are established performers and some of them simply always wanted to learn about singing but were afraid to ask. When I start seeing them getting results in their singing ability and they see it too, then that’s the big payback for me. I am truly blessed to have a mission and work in life that makes me very happy.

Someone once asked me if I ever get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again. I replied without hesitation: "Absolutely not." There is something in a song for EVERY individual that is uniquely and only there for them alone.

The singer is the one who brings something to the song. I can always hear something new in a song that I have heard thousands and thousands of times just because a new person is now singing that song. This is true whether the student is a beginner or whether the student has been singing all of his or her life. It is an inherent part of being human. Your art is within you waiting to come out, even before you discover that it exists

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been a pupil of Frank's for nearly four years now. It has been the most enriching and positive study I have ever experienced, in any field. A huge part of the study for me are the individual lessons with Frank. My individual lesson is the highlight of my week because I get the opportunity to tackle my singing with Frank over a number of songs and after the lesson I always feel I have made progress. Frank is an excellent teacher and a wonderful person, I feel very lucky to have found the school. - James O'Shea